Thursday 10 October 2013

Canadian Maple Syrup and Pecan Cookies

I know, I know, it's been far too long. I'M SORRY. But I've been really busy, with my new (ish) full time job as a financial journalist. I cannot apologise enough, so I will just bombard you with pictures of cake:

Quite impressive, if I may say so myself. And I may, and I do. But I'm afraid I'm not going to give you the recipe for this, mainly because someone's already done it: http://cakefixation.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/how-to-make-fire-breathing-dragon-cake.html.

Mine is slightly different in that I made chocolate chip sponge and used a white chocolate and rice crispy mixture to made the head and neck of the dragon and I understand that rice crispy treats include marshmallow (I've never made them). Also my dragon doesn't breathe fire, because: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLMSf4afzo

Instead, I'm going to give you the recipe for my very tasty Canadian inspired maple syrup and pecan cookies.

So, I went on a business trip to Canada. And in my goody bag, courtesy of the government of Ontario, I found a bottle of maple syrup:


So I decided to put it to good use and make cookies for the office (they did send me to Canada, after all).

And the results were very good.

You will need:
225g butter
220g soft brown sugar
an egg
100ml maple syrup
2 tsp baking soda
350g flour
50g roughly chopped pecans
a little granulated sugar to sprinkle

1. Beat together the brown sugar and butter to a light fluffy consistency

2. Beat in the egg and maple syrup.
3. Sift in the flour, baking soda and mix in the nuts.
4. Roll into golf-ball sized balls (use an ice-cream scoop if you have one) and put on a baking tray. Flatten with a spatula and bake for 10-15 minutes at 175 degrees C/gas 4.
5. Cool on a wire rack and eat while good and squidgy. Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment