Tuesday 31 May 2016

Courgette Cake

The other week I acquired 12 courgettes through no fault of my own.

I ordered a load of shopping from one of these supermarket delivery services. I was sorely disappointed. Not only did I not get the aubergines I ordered, but I also got 12 courgettes rather than the two I wanted.

"Big deal," you're thinking. "You got 12 courgettes for the price of two. That's a win."

Well yes, but I really hate waste. Food waste in particular. It's pretty much one of the seven deadly sins in my eyes.

So I determined to use every one of those courgettes. I made courgette risotto, roasted courgette, courgette hummus and courgetti spaghetti.

All my courgette creations were a success, except the courgette hummus, which was like eating a swamp.

But I still had one courgette and I was sick of savoury courgette recipes.

So I looked up courgette cake recipes, decided to make courgette cupcakes. Then realised I threw my cupcake tray away after it warped, so I decided to make cake instead.


It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it did not taste like a swamp, which is always what I look for in a cake. This serves four to six.

You will need:

1 egg
1 medium sized courgette
1 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp sunflower oil
75g plain flour
15g light soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
5-6 inch loose based cake tin

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Grate the courgette and squeeze as much moisture out of it as you can. Then squeeze some more.

2. Whisk the egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract together. Fold in the courgette.

3. Stir in the flour, baking powder and sugar.

4. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.


It is moist, tasty and one of your five a day. Next time I might sweeten it up a bit more with a bit of lime or lemon icing.

Happy baking,

Ellie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment