Sunday 27 January 2013

Spiced Banana Cake

This is the best recipe for banana cake ever. I will never never never find a better recipe than this. (Like everrr.)

I am very proud of this recipe because I have actually had some input into the way I make it - I altered the recipe so it was even more to my liking. The way I do it is slightly healthier (slightly guys, I'm afraid there's no such thing as healthy cake) and I've also tampered with the spices considerably. 

You will need:

1 large ripe banana
115g butter
150g caster sugar
2 eggs
215g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp nutmeg
½ cinnamon
½ ginger 
175ml plain yoghurt (not low fat)
1 tsp vanilla essence

To glaze:
50g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp lemon juice

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Mash the banana in a bowl and set aside. Don't blend it - the little chunks of banana make the texture more interesting.
 3. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating all the time.
4. Sift the flour, salt, spices and bicarbonate of soda into the butter mixture and stir together.
5. Add the yoghurt, banana and vanilla and mix until combined, do not overmix. Pour into the loaf tin. 
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes until lightly browned and until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Rest the cake for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
7. When the cake has cooled, beat the icing sugar and lemon juice together until smooth and pour over the cake. Leave to set.
Om nom nom

Bye bye bakelings,

Ellie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment